Botox is the short name for Botulinum Toxin molecules which are produced by bacteria clostridium botulinum. It is actually a toxin, but can act as a neurotoxin in high quantities.
This toxin has been refined and certain amount of the original toxin can be injected to block the action of some nerves.
In aesthetics this technique is used mainly for ;
- Facial expression muscles which create lines with age. By doing these injections; lines and wrinkles relax and this provides lifting effect to neck and face.
- Treatment of hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Migraine treatment by injections into several points into the scalp
- Muscle contractions ; some neurological conditions can cause contracted muscles. They can be relaxed by Botox injections.
- Bladder dysfunction ; can help reduce urinary incontinence caused by overactive bladder.
- Eye twitching ; it may help relieve contracture or twitching of muscles around the eye
Healthcare professional injects a tiny needle of botulinum toxin into specific muscles. These muscles are supposed to be wrinkle producing muscles, so your natural facial expressions will be preserved.
Number of injections and the duration of the procedure depend on your facial features and the extent of your wrinkles. Though they do not last more than 20 minutes.
These injections are quite safe, side effects and complications occur very rarely, though it is needed to be performed by a qualified doctor.
- Crooky smile
- Flu like sypmtoms
- Eye dryness
- Excessive tearing
- Pain and swelling on at the site of injection